The Medicare Advantage open enrollment period (MA OEP) available to current Medicare Advantage enrollees ends March 31, 2020. Enrollees can make a one-time plan change, including:
- Switching to a different Medicare Advantage plan
- Dropping their Medicare Advantage plan and returning to Original Medicare Parts A and B
- Signing up for a stand-alone Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan, if they are returning to Original Medicare
The MA OEP does not allow the following:
- Switching from Original Medicare, Medicare Cost, PACE, or other types of Medicare health plans other than Medicare Advantage to a Medicare Advantage health plan
- Switching from one Medicare Prescription Drug Plan to another if enrolled in Original Medicare
- Joining a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan if enrolled in Original Medicare
During the MA OEP, you may check with clients to see if they are happy with the plan they renewed or changed to during the annual enrollment period. However, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) prohibits plan sponsors, brokers, and agents from knowingly targeting or sending unsolicited marketing materials to any Medicare Advantage enrollee or Part D enrollee during the open enrollment period.
Have a client newly eligible for Medicare who wants to change their Medicare Advantage plan selection?
The MA OEP is also available throughout the year to those newly eligible for a Medicare Advantage individual health plan. Individuals who are in their Initial Coverage Election Period and enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan may use the MA OEP during the first 3 months in which they have both Medicare Parts A and B.
For example, if an individual is eligible for Parts A and B effective June 1, 2020, and enrolls in a Medicare Advantage plan, they may use the MA OEP from June 1 to August 31, 2020.
During this period, enrollees may make one of the following changes:
- Disenroll from their current Medicare Advantage plan and switch to any Medicare Advantage plan within the same organization or another, which they are eligible to join
- Disenroll completely from Medicare Advantage and go to Original Medicare
5-Star special enrollment period lets members join Medicare Advantage through November 2020*
If your client is enrolled in Original Medicare, Medicare Cost plan, PACE, or other type of Medicare health plan and is not eligible to use the MA OEP, they may be eligible to use the 5-Star special enrollment period to enroll in a Kaiser Permanente Medicare Advantage health plan.
Our 5-Star rating allows Medicare certified producers to enroll individuals in 2020 Kaiser Permanente Medicare Advantage (HMO) health plans from now through November 30, 2020. An election during the 5-Star special enrollment period can only be made once between December 8, 2019, and November 30, 2020. Your client must also be enrolled in Parts A & B and live in the Kaiser Permanente Medicare service area.
Call the Kaiser Permanente Medicare Sales and Producer Support team at 1-800-581-8252.
*Every year, Medicare evaluates plans based on a 5-star rating system. This star rating applies to Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington.