Whether traveling for work, on vacation, or away at college, our members have options when they need care away from home. Some are available 24/7 and at no additional cost.
Digital care at no additional cost
- Care Chat, available 24/7. Chat with a Kaiser Permanente provider for real-time medical care and prescriptions, if necessary. Members must register for Kaiser Permanente online services to use Care Chat.
- Consulting Nurse Service, available 24/7. Call 1-800-297-6877 (TTY 711) to talk with a nurse for care advice and to find out if immediate medical attention is needed.
- Online visit. Members can sign in to kp.org/wa and start an online visit by filling out a questionnaire. A Kaiser Permanente provider will offer a treatment plan for certain common medical issues that don’t need a physical exam. Providers usually respond within 2 hours if the questionnaire is sent between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. Pacific time. Members must register for our online services to use this feature.
When members need in-person care away from home, they should first call Member Services at 1-888-901-4636 (TTY 711) to find the closest in-network option. Kaiser Permanente Medicare Advantage members should call Medicare Member Services at 1-888-901-4600 (TTY 711), 7 days a week, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Kaiser Permanente urgent care. When possible, members should visit one of our urgent care locations for non-emergency care. Call Member Services for help finding the most convenient location. Members will pay their standard copay or coinsurance.
- CareClinic by Kaiser Permanente at Bartell Drugs. These walk-in clinics in the Puget Sound area are staffed by Kaiser Permanente providers. Services include treatment for minor illnesses and injuries and routine preventive care such as vaccinations. Members pay their standard copay or coinsurance.
- CVS MinuteClinic®. These walk-in clinics are staffed by non-Kaiser Permanente providers who can treat a range of common conditions and symptoms such as flu, ear infections, sinus infections, indigestion, and minor injuries.
- In states without Kaiser Permanente providers, members will pay their standard copay or coinsurance.
- In states with Kaiser Permanente providers, members must pay up front for services and then file a claim for reimbursement.
- Other urgent care locations. If members receive services at an urgent care location other than a Kaiser Permanente urgent care facility, CareClinic, or CVS MinuteClinic, they will need to pay up front for services and then file a claim for reimbursement.
- 911 or nearest emergency room. In medical emergencies, members should call 911 if in the United States. If abroad, they should call the local emergency number or visit the closest emergency room. If a member is admitted to a hospital, they must call our Hospital Notification Line at 1-888-457-9516 as soon as reasonably possible so we can help manage their care.
These plan-specific flyers help explain care options for members who are away from home: