Having pediatric dental coverage is a requirement of the Affordable Care Act, and if members don’t enroll their younger dependents, they may be at risk of being out of compliance in meeting Federal and Washington State regulations related to having pediatric dental coverage.
We’ll be sending a notification to Kaiser Permanente members and mutual clients who:
- Obtained their individual and family (KPIF) coverage off-exchange
- Have dependents 18 and younger
- Did not add pediatric dental coverage during the most recent open enrollment period which ended January 15, 2022
The notification will be sent in late February. In the letter, we’ll ask that members and clients attest to already having pediatric dental coverage or enroll in one of our dental plans. Members will have 60 days to respond, to ensure compliance with federal and Washington state regulations.
Members have 2 options for getting their dependents pediatric dental coverage:
- Sign up for an off-exchange Delta Dental of Washington plan offered through Kaiser Permanente. The 2 plan options include:
- A pediatric dental-only plan, which provides pediatric dental coverage for those 18 and younger
- An adult/family dental plan, which provides dental coverage for those 18 and younger and 19 and older
Once members have chosen a plan, they can go to kp.org/wa/if-dental and download the account change form. The form must be sent back to us no later than 60 days from the date of the letter we sent. Dental coverage will begin on the first of the month following receipt of the account change form.
- Enroll in ACA-compliant dental coverage through an employer or another dental carrier. If members are already planning to enroll — or if they’ve already enrolled in a dental plan through an employer or another dental carrier — they’ll need to send us a signed Pediatric Dental Attestation form no later than 60 days from the date of the letter we sent. They must also include proof of the dental coverage. Acceptable forms of proof are:
- A copy of a dental ID card for each child covered and the dates of coverage
- Any document from the dental carrier that shows evidence of coverage and lists the covered individuals with the coverage start date
If applicable, we’ll send you a list of clients who will be receiving this notification in preparation for inquiries you may receive. If you have questions, please call or email the KPIF Sales Producer Support team at:
- 1-800-474-1079, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.